Marianas Variety

Last updateWed, 20 Jun 2018 12am







    Monday, June 18, 2018-11:22:37P.M.






Font Size


Domestic-violence defendant gets 18 months

A 34-year-old man pled guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon on Tuesday last week.

Police said Kerik Babauta Lizama beat up his wife and hit her with the back-end of an ax while she was holding their 2-year-old child.

Superior Court Judge Teresa Kim-Tenorio sentenced Lizama to five years in prison, all suspended except for 18 months without the possibility of parole. He was given credit for time served.

Lizama, after his prison term, will be immediately placed on supervised probation for five years.

Lizama, during his probation, is prohibited from having any contact with the victim. He will complete treatment at the Community Guidance Center, and will not be allowed to possess or consume alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs.

Moreover, he will perform 100 hours of community service, pay restitution, a $100 court assessment fee and a probation fee whose amount will be assessed by the Office of Adult Probation.

As part of the plea agreement, the remaining charges — child abuse, interfering with a domestic violence report, assault and battery, and two counts of disturbing the peace — were dropped.

Police said the incident occurred on Oct. 10, 2017.

The victim told police that prior to the incident, she was carrying the baby outside the house of one of the two witnesses when Lizama pulled her hair back, causing her to fall.

She said Lizama then punched her in the forehead while she was still holding the child. When he went to a storage room to get an ax, the victim ran to the kitchen where Lizama’s sister and another witness were.

She said Lizama entered the kitchen and hit her with the ax. The victim, who was crying, protected the child from being hit, police said.

The two witnesses tried to stop Lizama. When his sister phoned the police, he told her to put the phone down.

Court documents did not indicate why Lizama was angry at the victim.

According to police, officers responded to a residence in Koblerville at 4:35 p.m. on that day and saw the victim with a swelling on the back of her head and the nape of her neck, a laceration on her left shoulder, and a bump on the forehead.