Marianas Variety

Last updateTue, 10 Dec 2019 12am

Headlines:

     

     

     

     

     

    Monday, December 9, 2019-1:06:23P.M.

     

     

     

     

     

Font Size

Settings

More options at NMC for non-traditional students

NORTHERN Marianas College will hold its Climb Higher Summit on Oct. 5 at the Pacific Islands Club to reach out to the non-traditional student population who want to earn a college degree without having to leave work, Northern Marianas College external relations officer Frankie Eliptico said yesterday.

Frankie Eliptico
Eliptico, who was yesterday’s speaker at the Saipan Rotary Club meeting at the Hyatt, said  non-traditional/adult students are those who are 25 years old or older, currently working full time or part time, have had a break in their educational journey, or  were not able to pursue college right after graduating from high school because they had to enter the workforce, and are dependent on persons other than their spouse.

At  NMC, Eliptico said  73 percent of the student population are 18-24 years old while those 25 years old and above comprise the remaining 27 percent.

He said at the national level, the over 25-year-old population is the fastest growing student segment in higher education.

Based on a 2005 educational attainment data, Eliptico said 43 percent of CNMI residents over 25 years old finished high school while 19 percent did not.

Fourteen percent of the population earned a bachelor’s degree while 12 percent got some college education but did not finish a degree. Five percent earned an AA occupational degree, 4 percent received an AA academic degree and 3 percent obtained a graduate degree.

Eliptico said a lot of these high school graduates are going back to school to earn their college degree while working.

“We see a lot of older students coming back to school and these are the nontraditional students,” Eliptico said.

These nontraditional students face many challenges: the absence of local scholarships for part-time students; student services hours are geared for traditional students; most classes are scheduled for full time students; and marketing and student recruitment are designed for traditional students.

To help nontraditional students, Eliptico said NMC is offering more options such as more evening, Friday and Saturday classes as well as more online courses to help students balance work, family, school and other obligations.

He said  adult student preferences include weeknight courses (once a week and not weekends), an eight-week format, and a blend of online and in-class.

NMC is working to meet these preferences and needs, he added.

Eliptico said it’s never too late to go back to college and earn a degree.

The Climb Higher Summit on Oct. 5 is designed to explain to non-traditional students what options are available to them.

“We have programs and financial assistance like scholarships and grants available to all qualified individuals so we urge students to take advantage of that,” Eliptico said.

NMC is also offering over 300 short-term non-credit courses through its ed2go program, more online programs, and more short term certificate programs.

For more information about NMC’s educational programs, log on to www.NMCnet.edu, call 234-5498, 234-3690 or 234-5498 extension 1346.