11 Jan 2017
- By Cherrie Anne E. Villahermosa - firstname.lastname@example.org - Variety News Staff
SPEAKER Ralph S. Demapan on Monday urged the House committee chairs to work hand-in-hand with other government agencies, the private sector and the rest of the community to ensure progress and performance.
He also told them to learn about the greatest and most pressing issues that the commonwealth is facing today and in the near future.
“This is to ensure that we are actually measuring our performance and progress ahead. Let’s all work and share a relationship based on respect, cooperation and understanding,” Demapan said.
“There is so much at stake to ensure that the economic, governmental and social progress of our commonwealth remains on a positive path,” he added.
“We can no longer afford to continue business-as-usual practices without measuring where we are today as a government and commonwealth and where we need to be in terms of progress and success in truly improving the quality of life of our people.
“Let’s deliver on the promises that our people put us into office for. I also urge and call on our people, the whole of government, businesses, non-government organizations and communities to actively participate in our legislative work and to work collectively together to ensure and chart a course forward for our commonwealth.”
On Monday, the 20 members of the House were sworn into office by Chief Justice Alexandro Castro while Presiding Judge Robert C. Naraja administered the oath of office to the nine senators.
Janet Maratita is the new House vice speaker while Glenn Maratita will be the new House floor leader.
The following are the House committee chairs:
• Rep. Joseph P. Deleon Guerrero, Gaming
• Rep. Angel Demapan, Ways and Means
• Rep. Frank Dela Cruz, Public Utilities and Communications
• Rep. Donald Barcinas, Transportation
• Rep. Joseph Leepan T. Guerrero, Commerce and Tourism
• Rep. Edwin Aldan, Education
• Rep. Joseph Itibus, Health
• Rep. Frank Aguon, Social and Human Services
• Rep. Ivan Blanco, Judiciary and Governmental Operations
• Rep. Alice Igitol, Natural Resources
• Rep. Gregorio Sablan Jr., Foreign and Federal Affairs
The new House minority leader is Rep. Edmund Villagomez and the other minority bloc members are Reps. Ed Propst, BJ Attao, Vinnie Sablan and Lorenzo Deleon Guerrero.