Marianas Variety

Last updateThu, 23 Nov 2017 12am

Headlines:

     

     

     

     

     

    Wednesday, November 22, 2017-8:34:30P.M.

     

     

     

     

     

AG says they’re doing their best to conclude investigation into deaths of 3 workers

AUTOPSIES will be conducted on the bodies of the three workers who died in a manhole on July 7, 2017.

Edward Manibusan
Attorney General Edward Manibusan said the autopsies are necessary and a part of the ongoing investigation into the tragic incident.

“I ask for the patience of the families as our office and the Department of Public Safety are moving as best as we can to conclude the investigation,” he added.

Guam chief medical examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola will conduct the autopsies.

DPS said a preliminary investigation revealed that “all three victims were exposed to high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas built up inside the tank. Other factors include wastewater presence...possibly causing the men to drown.”

The three workers were employed by USA Fanter which was contracted by the Commonwealth Utilities Corp. to install a new pump for the wastewater lift station near Agingan Point.

Johnie Guillermo, a contact person for the families of the victims, told Variety that USA Fanter will cover all the expenses incurred at CHC, the repatriation of the bodies as well as the funeral services and interment of the workers in the Philippines.

Guillermo said memorial services were held at the CHC chapel last week, and they are now making arrangements for another memorial service at Borja Funeral Home before the remains are sent home. He said the date of the memorial service will be announced soon.