Marianas Variety

Last updateSat, 25 May 2019 12am







    Sunday, May 26, 2019-1:13:43P.M.






Font Size


MPU leads U18 boys division

MP United Football Club continues to sit on the top of the U18 Boys division of the 2019 Spring Youth League after collecting their second straight win shutting down Matansa Football Club 4-0 last Friday held at the NMI Soccer Training Center in Koblerville.

MPU did not waste any opportunity to strike as they pushed for the attack as soon as the whistle blew. After just 10 minutes of back and forth action, Sun Joon Tenorio was able to break the silence for MPU striking his first goal for the 1-0 advantage.

Click to enlarge
MPU’s Oliver Lee stretches to save the ball from out of bounds during last Friday’s game of the 2019 Spring Youth League U18 Boys division at the NMISTC.  Photo by James F. Sablan Jr.

MFC managed to stop MPU’s offensive run for the remainder of the first half but did not gain any shots themselves as they most played defense in order to protect their end of the field.

The second half continued to fall in MPU’s favor as they found their second wind creating attacks once again. Skyler Poon connected MPU’s second goal of the day marking at the 40th minute and did not stop there as Tenorio pulled through once again 11 minutes after to stretcht he gap 3-0.

No matter what MFC did, they just could not find an answer to slow down MPU’s offense as Poon drained his second goal just three minutes after to secure the win 4-0.

TanHoldings Football Club also shares the first place seat with MPU as they collected their second win over Kanoa Football Club 5-1.

It was a fairly even match at first as neither team could penetrate inside filling the first 30 minutes with exchanges. However it was KNFC that drew first blood thanks to Ian Maniago’s goal at the 30th mark giving his team a sense of relief. But that relief was only for a very brief moment as THFC struck back just a minute later made by Aloyzeus Angeles to put the game back at a deadlock of 1-1. Angeles did not slow down as he handed THFC control with his second goal right before halftime 2-0.

The second half was much different as THFC took over. Kanoa was found at a drought only able to defend but lacked the ability to attack. It did not take long for THFC to break through as Mark Esalan fired two consecutive goals followed by Jonathan Capayas to put the game out of reach 5-1.