Slider
Slider

|

Slider

3 more individuals positive for Covid-19

Local
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

THROUGH travel screening protocols, three individuals were confirmed positive for Covid-19 over the week. This brings to 45 the total number of cumulative cases in the CNMI since March 28, 2020.

The Commonwealth Healthcare Corp. said of the three additional cases, one was identified through incoming traveler screening while the two others were diagnosed through fifth day testing.

“The individuals have been safely in quarantine and were moved to the designated isolation area for close monitoring.” CHCC stated, adding they already initiated contact tracing including passengers of the flight, family members, friends and associates of the newly confirmed cases.

CHCC Chief Executive Officer Esther Muna said their biggest concern is the surge of Covid-19 cases in the U.S. mainland.

There are now 4.71 million cases in the U.S. with 157,000 deaths.

Of the 45 confirmed cases in the CNMI, CHCC stated that 21 were identified through port of entry screening procedures. Eighteen cases originated from the U.S. mainland, two from a foreign county and one from a U.S. territory.

“These individuals are returning residents,” Muna said. “It is critical that we still continue to practice social distancing, wearing our mask and washing our hands…it really helps prevent community transmission.”

The entry screening procedures help CHCC and the task force identify individuals who have the infection, Muna added.

During a press briefing Friday on KKMP radio, Gov. Ralph DLG Torres lauded CHCC frontline workers, the task force and the community for the continued effort to “flatten the curve” in the CNMI.

He noted that the projection back in April was that Covid-19 cases in the CNMI could reach 6,000. “We are now in August, and the last cases have been inbound. We have done a tremendous job in flattening the curve.”

However, he added, “even if we are still the safest place on Earth, we will still treat the Covid-19 pandemic as a high priority and high risk.”

On Guam, as of Saturday, there had been a total of 359 confirmed cases of Covid-19 with five deaths, 304 released from isolation, and 50 active cases. Of those cases, 310 were classified as civilians and 49 were military service members.

 

 

 

 

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider

Read more articles

Visit our Facebook Page

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider