Laguatan fielded questions from many of the close to 100 jobless nonresidents worried about their looming departure after Nov. 27 when their umbrella permits expire.
Although the U.S. immigration court will decide based on each individual’s case, Laguatan told them of what they can still do to stay in the CNMI while their deportation cases remain pending.
Laguatan at the same time noted that he has never asked a single cent for the assistance he is giving to nonresidents in the CNMI. The advice he has been providing is absolutely free and nobody should charge a fee for it, he added.
Raby Syed the president of the United Workers Movement, said they never authorized anyone to sell tickets or charge anybody for the event.
The $5 ticket being sold last week turned out to be for a fundraising show for nonresidents that will be held on Nov. 26 at American Memorial Park, Variety learned.
Catherine Torcullas, a former garment worker who has been jobless since 2009, said the people who sold her the ticket at a Garapan beauty parlor did not tell her it was for the video conference with Laguatan.
But she said some of those selling the tickets were using Laguatan’s name.
Torcullas said she was told that the show organizers will use a portion of the proceeds to pay for a lawyer.


