21 appear in court for removal proceedings

Honolulu Immigration Judge Clarence M. Wagner ordered the removal of Xiaoli Li, who appeared without a lawyer.

She was ordered to post $1,500 voluntary departure bond, and to depart the commonwealth on Jan. 3, 2012.

Li told the court she was “confused” when the federalization law took effect in 2009, and sought assistance and registered with the federal ombudsman’s office. Her name was on the list published in newspapers. When DHS started to make arrests, she was included.

The court ruled the affidavit she submitted “did not have bearing” to overturn DHS’ allegations of removability.

When asked by the court if she had any document that authorizes her stay in the United States as of yesterday, Li sifted through her documents and presented a letter from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

In that letter, USCIS denied Li’s application for parole in place because she had been out of status since Nov. 2009.

The court acknowledged the letter, but pointed out that it “supported the court’s finding of her being removable.”

Li told the court she would appeal the court’s decision.

Wagner sustained the removability of Ponnu Selvam Nadar and Shangzhe Song, but continued their removal proceedings to pursue available relief for them.

Nadar has been a living on Rota since 1989. He told the court he has two children born in the CNMI and that he is married to a U.S. citizen.

Nadar said he fears that somebody would take his life if he returns to India.

Song told the court there’s “no respect for human rights” in China, and his involvement with Falun Gong in the CNMI would endanger his life if he returns to his country.

Song told the court he arrived on Saipan in October 2009 as a tourist and is married to a U.S. citizen.

Wagner continued the detention hearings for Wilfredo Macaraeg, who was ordered by the court to post a $10,000 bond, and Xiao Xia Yu.

The hearing was conducted at the DHS detention center on the ground floor of MH II building in Puerto Rico.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement assistant chief counsel Heith M. Kaneshige represented the federal government.

Wagner presided over the removal proceedings through video conference.

He continued the removal proceedings for the rest of the respondents: Cheng Zhen Jin, Shanghe Song, Jayr Miranda Pineda, Joel Manalansan Enriquez, Arsenio Toriano Tumalad Jr., George Raneses Galido, Ferwayne Locsin Santos, Zhicheng Li, Xikui Liang, Chang Sik Choe, Fanzhe Cui, Henedina Manzano Dela Cruz, Gil Yaranon Ogarro, Yang Li, Hongshun Yan, Xiaoqin Zhao, and Dongmei Qiao.

The court provided a translator for each of the respondents during the removal proceedings.

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
[social_share]

Weekly Poll

Latest E-edition

Please login to access your e-Edition.

+