Tinian wants new deal with Defense

In his letter to Gov. Benigno R. Fitial, the Tinian mayor said that with the CNMI government’s dwindling funds, “it is impossible to properly maintain the roadways on Tinian.”

Dela Cruz is requesting the governor “to support for negotiations on a new land management for DoD leased land on Tinian.”

He urged Fitial to set up a meeting with  military officials.

In an interview on Tuesday, Dela Cruz said what he is proposing is not a new idea but since he sent his letter to the governor late last month, he has not received a reply.

Tom Linden, the military integration management coordinator  of the Department of Commerce, said it was the first time that he has seen or heard of the mayor’s request.

Although it appears he was supposedly furnished a copy of the letter, Linden said, “I never received a copy either printed or electronically.”

A Tinian resident who supports the mayor’s proposal said  completing a new agreement with  Defense will take time and this is why there is no time to waste.

The CNMI, he added, should seize any opportunity that can help improve Tinian roads in these times of economic challenges.

Unless the governor wants to fund road maintenance and accident insurance for military leased lands on Tinian, he added, the CNMI government must discuss the issue with DoD.

Visited 2 times, 1 visit(s) today
[social_share]

Weekly Poll

Latest E-edition

Please login to access your e-Edition.

+